DSA clamp-down on C1 & D1 learner supervision | Latics Driving School Oldham

DSA clamp-down on C1 & D1 learner supervision

DSA clamp-down on C1 & D1 learner supervision

Business quiet?  Fancy a bit of variety in your job?  Interested in expanding your skill-set and training people to drive other types of vehicle?  Then you need to hurry!

ambulanceGood quality minibus and lorry drivers (including ambulance drivers) are needed throughout the UK, so demand for training is still high.  It’s always good to have an additional string to your bow, so if you’re interested in becoming a minibus, small lorry or ambulance driver trainer, read on!

If you passed your car driving test before 1997 and want to supervise learners in some other categories of vehicle, you only have until April 2010 to get the necessary new qualification.

The new rules apply to those who obtained their car licence before 1997 and who supervise learners in small lorries (category C1), minibuses (D1) or vehicle plus trailer combinations (C1+E or D1+E).

They have until 6 April next year to meet the relevant medical standards and pass the appropriate driving test if they want to continue supervising learners in those vehicles.

Drivers who passed before 1997 were given so-called “grandfather rights” to drive small lorries and minibuses. They will be able to continue driving these vehicles but will only be able to give tuition in them if they pass the test for the relevant category before 6 April 2010.

But drivers who do not pass the relevant driving test before then will have to wait three years from the date they do pass until they can supervise learner drivers.

Most instructors who provide professional training in driving small lorries and minibuses will not be affected by the change as they have already passed a driving test in a larger vehicle.

But a minority with ‘grandfather rights’ have been supervising learners without having the appropriate pass themselves.

Trevor Wedge, Great Britain’s Chief Driving Examiner, said: “In the interests of road safety, it is important that learners are supervised by people who have proved themselves capable of driving the vehicle in question.

“It was never the intention to allow learner drivers to be supervised on public roads unless they were with people who had proven experience of driving those vehicles.”

  • Derek

    I hold a full C licence, and have been training drivers for many years. I also train D1 clients, does this meen that I will have to take the D1 test to continue?


    4th December 2009 at 5:55 pm
  • Mark Crisp

    I have a catagory D.
    Can i supervise D1?

    16th February 2010 at 9:25 pm
  • Gavin Barker

    I have held a full class 2 c + e licence for over 30 years..I also for the past 3 years have been a fully qualified ADI.. Am I able to supervise D1 and C1 without any further training

    2nd April 2017 at 7:41 am
    • Have you taken a D bud test? If not then no you can’t.

      8th October 2018 at 1:14 pm

Post a Comment